This year has brought forth many accomplishments; many good memories, many decent memories and many not-so-good ones. I wanted to take back and reflect some of my own personal accomplishments and happenings in 2012 and share them with my fellow supporters.
January- I made a promise to never look back on the past, to move on and meet new people. To finally put myself first and forward.
February- I met one of my good friends, Jess- who is a great person and an inspiration (she too is a designer and makes crafting goods as well)
February- I got the internship I wanted! I was the one out of the five candidates who got the position. My college was very proud at the factor I beat all the RISD art school kids (even though I worked with many RISD kids on the internship site)
March- My salamander info-graphic was nominated for an award!
April- Got my designers drafting tools and started to make my own materials, business cards & mock ups (spraymount, packaging, etc)
May- I graduated College with a BS degree
June- Started to talk with Meghan, the founder of Lotllove and work out arrangements. My first try selling axolotl plush animals I made.
June- Started to get into Steampunk
July- Had an interview in particular (actually 7 totaled with one company) that changed my entire outlook on what I do/ did
July- Vicious, my axolotl came into my life with help and thanks to Meghan and the Lotllove team
July- Started Kayaking
July- Got my own professional bow to continue with my archery
August- Tylonproducts got a NEW design and look!
September- Started getting into a different style of jewelry design, with chains, beads, gems and specialized metal glues to enhance the look
September- Started making magnet buddies
October- I got my driving permit (thanks to my boss for that one) & started my driving lessons
October- I started working at Mid Hill Ironworks designing things out of steel
October- Muffin-fish (my little betta) passed.
November- Captain Jameson became our new betta fish
November- I started my online store on ETSY
November- I found out Muffin is really a she
December- I turned 22 (and was sick my entire birthday and the week after)
And some interesting statistics over the past year. Since Tylonproducts new look has only been around since August- in 4 months (almost 5) it has had almost 45,000 visitors! I have met some truly wonderful people and supporters through this mini community I never thought was possible.
Now for 2013 I already have some goals in mind.
- I would like to really work on getting my ETSY store up and running with inventory in stock.
- I would like to finish up my driving lessons and get my license (I am estimating maybe early spring).
- I will work more on personal networks and connections rather than the internet for finding a full time job position. I would also like to meet more, new, good people in my life.
- IF I cannot secure a job at all, I will work local. I will advertise my butt off- and this would go hand and hand with my other idea of participating in the craft fairs. Crafters have small businesses. Small businesses need names, design work, etc.
- I am changing my title of what I do. Designer is not cutting it, and it is not showcasing all of the OTHER stuff I can do. So currently I am saying I am a Varied Artist until I can find a suitable and professional title. So this will be a BIG switch for me.
- I might* also alter my logo, identity and everything else to make myself more well rounded, rather than just focusing on design. I want to showcase I am well rounded in all the areas I work in (illustration, print, film, web etc) so instead of having a colorful printed as a logo- do something saying “I do all types of media!”
- In the fall/ winter of 2013 I would like to have enough inventory through out the year so I can participate in craft shows and fairs locally.
- In December of 2013 I would be very happy if I have a full time job and a car which are my priorities as well as being able to pay back my own loans. If I can accomplish these two things I would feel my resolutions were succeeded. The whole crafting business and everything else would be a great bonus.
- I might remove many of my social media accounts that are in existence, or change the cause over to making it strictly professional. While it is a great way to advertise- it is also a drama fest in many ways, and I am not really into keeping up with every bodies business and happenings.
- In two years my goal is to have a car, have a stable job and be moved out on my own into an apartment. I have some good friends graduating over the next two years- who are interested in moving out providing they too can secure a job as well.
- Currently, the money I have been making from my crafts has been going strictly on more materials. Instead of me doing this I am going to make what I can make- sell what I can sell, and with left over materials I will make whatever it is- and not purchase any materials until I have what I have sold, or the material is out of stock. The problem is I don’t want to have all this inventory of an item people don’t want and have a hard time selling it, and just have all this material piling up.
- I will also me making random stuffed animals and concepts for the kicks; and sell them as-is (a one of a kind unique type deal).
- I will now work with American Companies/ Local businesses on buying and supplying my materials when possible. I would like to either include USA in the tags, on the fabric labels, OR have a little sewn-on label on the foot/ butt saying USA or Made in USA.
- I will also be making up fabric tags for ALL of my plush animals.
I would like to thank EVERYONE who has supported me, bought items from me, etc. This past year has been big for me. The first time in my life I ever MADE something and SOLD it.
So this is just a start of some things I would like to change and make happen. I would also like to start meditating, eating even more healthier (seeing I eat pretty healthy to begin with- but perhaps making my OWN healthy meals now instead), and working on ways for myself to gain patience (which I have none of) and lesson my anger and not-caring attitude I often have. I think the negativity affects my health truthfully and that is why I am always sick.
I’m hoping these are all good and positive improvements on my life.
And to top off the height of laughter as of yesterday which kind of made me giggle- I got a job offer for doing mining/ construction/ building… I’m not sure if it was intended as all seriousness. Apparently this company found my resume and felt I was qualified to get into mining?…
How about you? Do any of you have resolutions you would like to make happen? Or possible improvements? Feel free to share them!!!
I hope everybody has a fun and happy new year!!!